Sudan’s Chief Justice orders release of 180 prisoners in South Darfur

March 29, 2015 (NYALA) – Sudan’s Chief Justice, Haidar Ahmed Dafa’alla, has ordered release of 180 inmates in the prison of South Darfur capital, Nyala vowing that courts would work to achieve justice among people.

Dafa’alla, who addressed the inauguration ceremony of the judiciary premises in Nyala on Sunday, said his visit to South Darfur state comes within the framework of inspecting judiciary work besides opening courts premises in the state.

The chief justice inaugurated buildings of courts of north, south and central Nyala, instructing payment of a one month salary for all workers to motivate them.

The visit is considered the first of its kind by a chief justice to Nyala since 2005.

The governor of South Darfur state, Adam Mahmoud Jar al-Nabi, for his part, stressed the need to appoint a judge in each locality, pointing to the positive effect of concerted efforts among judicial and security organs in maintaining stability in the state.

He emphasized that they managed to overcome the state of lawlessness and curbed rebellion but noted that South Darfur is only suffering from deadly tribal conflicts.

Jar al-Nabi called on tribes to listen to the voice of reason and mend the social fabric, mentioning the high financial burden of the ethnic conflict on the state’s budget.

He also appealed for stopping tribal fighting in order not obstruct the general elections in April, saying elections must be held in a stable environment because it is a constitutional requirement.

Meanwhile, the chief justice of South Darfur state, Abu al-Gasim Mohamed Zi’ifa, said the state is in dire need for establishing additional courts due to its large size, adding that the judiciary suffers from financial problems particularly those pertaining to transfer of convicts to Khartoum.

South Darfur state has witnessed a near total security breakdown in recent months with recurrent incidents of looting, banditry and murder including from pro-government militias.

Businessmen and commercial convoys in South Darfur are regularly attacked by armed gangs which demand ransom for their release.

Last July, Jar al-Nabi, declared an indefinite emergency situation in South Darfur state, including a curfew from 7pm to 7am (local time) in the capital Nyala.